Walkthrough- Wave 5- Mikey Trick
This is the stage that will bring you over the precipice of being a novice robotron player to being a REAL Robotron player.
- Wave 5 is the only brain stage that is easy enough to “cheat” the game and rack up a bunch of free lives. (up to 3 extra men if you are perfect at this trick)
- Watch it on Wave 5 – click HERE
- Watch a master do it on Wave 10 – click HERE
The strategy is simple.
- All brains will focus on Mikey and not touch any other humans, as long as Mikey stays on the screen.
- You are going to use Mikey as bait to kill off all brains.
- Do NOT shoot the Enforcer/Spheroid. It is needed at the end of the wave.
- Leaving 1 enforcer to dodge at end of wave, you’ll be able to pick up all humans and score a few extra men.
- Assumption is that you picked up ALL humans on wave 4 before killing last enemy. Very important.
- At start of wave, scan the playfield for Mikey, while enemies are frozen.
- If you can’t see Mikey in the chaos, watch the movement of the brains at the start of wave.
- The brains will all be moving toward him which will help you pinpoint visually.
- Identify the closest brain that will try to get Mikey (circled in red in the image)
- Move in the general direction of Mikey while angle firing to kill the closest brain.
- Notice that the brains are actually grouped nicely up above if you fire straight up.
- Fire directly up as much as possible to eradicate that group of brains
- By that time the brains to the right of the screen will be lined up vertically.
- Fire vertically as much as possible to take out remaining brains and grunts.
- Use the circling technique to avoid the enforcer
- Pay Day! Pick up all humans
- You can fire steady in various directions to neutralize the shots fired at you by enforcer.
- Avoid hitting the enforcer or all your hard work will end with the start of the next wave.
This trick is much harder to accomplish than you’d expect.
- Oftentimes, the game won’t cooperate because it’ll drop a Mikey directly ontop of a patch of brains at the start of the wave.
- You’ll play many a game before mastering this skill. Even once you have the skill mastered it may take 5 or more games to be successful.
MASTERY of the first 5 waves-
- Play the first 5 waves over and over and over and over again until you are comfortable with the offense and defensive strategies needed.
- Wave 1 to 5, general gameplay- Click video HERE
- Watch the videos of master level play to get hints about advanced techniques for moving and firing on the screen.
- You are now a skilled player if you can get through wave 5 without losing any lives while using the Mikey trick. Watch me do it on Robotron’s 30th birthday HERE.
- Plus you’ll have an impressive amount of lives built up. A huge advantage for dealing with the Tanks on wave 7…….