Project Berzerk- A Berzerk Adventure!
Berzerk- The Prequel to Robotron 2084 (developed by Alan McNeil)
- The Guidebook’s goal in reviewing Berzerk was to pay homage to the inspiration for Robotron 2084.
- And no homage would be complete without visiting the Gran-Daddy of competitive Berzerk gameplay.
- Joel has graciously offered to lead us into an exploration of Berzerk as Master of Ceremonies.
- So grab your favorite lazer gun, and join us in the perilous mazes ruled by ruthless Robots!
–>WORK IN PROGRESS<–
Joel West, Classic Gaming Legend and Berzerk’s Number 1 Fan
- The hardest part about playing video games… is making the playing look easy.
- No one owns a world record. They are like billboards on the side of a highway. Our names and scores are just there to show direction to others coming along. At best, we just rent the space for a while, until something better comes up the road.
Berzerk/Frenzy Developer Alan McNeil
Eugene Jarvis, Robotron/Defender Developer
You the Fans! Please share your story with us-
- Slow Bullets Strategy (courtesy of Grant Thienemann)
- Fast Bullets Strategy (courtesy of Steve Wagner)
- Learning Maze Starts
- Master Study in Fast Bullets (courtesy of Phil Younger)
- Note from the author- If you search google for Berzerk references in relation to Robotron 2084 you’ll find stories of Eugene Jarvis coming up with the dual joystick idea from a desire to play Berzerk after an auto accident. So what makes Berzerk tick in the pre-history of the birth of Robotron? Dunno, the author was never a Berzerk player in the 80’s arcade era, so I guess that means it is time to explore the answer….. as it turns out it is an answer that took over 13hrs to figure out, click HERE….Project Slow Bullets – Learning Berzerk in 1 Million Points!
The Mazes Explained
- Berzerk Restoration– http://www.zinfer.com/berzerk.htm
- Original Berzerk side-art- http://www.rotheblog.com/2010/10/classic-arcade-games/berzerk-sideart-artist-prototype-alan-mcneil/
- The Berzerk Song- Youtube , Techno-inspired- Youtube
- Incident at Friar Tuck’s Arcade- LINK
- CNC cut Berzerk displays- KLOV
- Red LED bar for homemade Robots- http://www.basicmicro.com/Cylon-RED-LED-Display_p_138.html
- World’s smallest Berzerk Robots- http://mspaeth.dyndns.org/~mspaeth/pics/phd/ROBOTS.jpg
The Making Of… Berzerk!
- http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/edge-magazine-back-issues/ (via DragonsLairFans site)