How to succeed at Tutankham
Visit Star Worlds Arcade, near Chicago, IL, to play this classic arcade game.
- If you don’t live near an arcade, the ArcadeSD jamma PCB at Phoenixarcade.com supports Tut.
- Tut is available on XBox360 under the Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA)
- Game control uses 2 joysticks similar to the immensely popular Robotron
- “Tutankham” was used to abbreviate the full name of Tutankhamun, which was too long for the images.
- Player moves in 4 directions within maze
- Firing is left and right only
- A flashbomb is available to destroy all enemies on the screen. 1 bomb per life.
- 4 mazes, repeated 4 times
- Each series of 4 mazes gets successively harder
- After wave 16, the mazes start over at the original maze 1.
All Strategies below can be observed in the Walkthrough videos provided below.
Find “Safe Zones” (novice skill)
- Find “safe zones” for firing on the horizontal, where enemies have to filter toward your firing range
Ignore the Radar (novice skill)
- The radar looks cool like Defender, but it is a distraction
- The radar does not show you where to find keys
- Enemies only exist on the players current screen so the radar is moot
- The only time the radar is useful is when using the “Erasing the Enemy” skill below.
Erasing the Enemy (novice skill)
- The computer program is only able to process enemies on the player’s current screen view
- Moving to the far left or right in a maze will help “erase” the enemies on the current section of the screen
- Handy when the pack of enemies is too overwhelming to deal with
Wall Shot (advanced skill)
- When moving up or down, firing against the wall will leave a trace shot that will kill enemies that are very close to catching you.
Pacman control (advanced skill)
- Be aware that enemy movement is guided by how many enemies are in the area and where the player is in the maze.
- Like Pac-Man, you will be able to find predictable patterns of enemy movement.
Learn to “finesse” the hard parts of mazes 3 and 4 (advanced skill)
- Maze 3 and 4 have some vertical columns of maze that are extremely challenging
- Avoid the urge to use your Flash bomb
- You will need to develop an intuitive sense of the enemy movement, shooting skills, and timing
- See the Walkthroughs below for tips on techniques to maneuver these tricky parts of the game.
Use the Swarm Timer (master skill)
- Be aware that swarms of enemies are generated at fixed intervals of the timer. Try to be in a safe zone before swarm starts
- Maze 1 on Youtube
- Maze 2 on Youtube
- Maze 3 on Youtube
- Maze 4 on Youtube
- Gameplay courtesy of MARP, Search shortname=tut, Player=Smile4Rob (10/3/2006)
Return to More Games page